Reseracher TD-A with effect from 01/01/2022 for the S.S.D. GEO/09 at the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences – Earth Science Area – University of Catania.
2020 - 2017 – PhD in Earth and Environmental Sciences at the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences of Catania University. Additional recognition of Doctor Europaeus with laude.
Erasmus traineeship at the IRCER (Institut de Recherche sur les Céramiques) – University of Limoges (France) from February to June 2019.
2017 – Licence to geologist practice at the University of Palermo.
Erasmus + studio at the Instituto Superior Técnico of Lisbon (Portugal) from February to June 2016.
2017 – 2014 – Master degree in Geological Sciences (LM-74) at the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences of Catania University.
2014 – 2010 – Bachelor degree in Geological Sciences (L-34) at the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences of Catania University.
2022 - 2018 – Research activities for the PON project: “AGM for CuHe: Advanced Green Materials for Cultural Heritage” (CUP E66C18000380005) at the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences of Catania University.
2021 – PostDoc at the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences of Catania University, for the PO FESR 2014-2020 SETI project (CUP G38I18000960007).
September 2020 – Experiments of ray-X diffraction (XRD) at the beamline MCX of Elettra Synchrotron (Trieste, Italy).
2017 - 2016 – Grant for the project - "Nanotechnology and nanomaterials for Cultural Heritage (TECLA)" (CUP: E92114001570005) at the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences of Catania University.
2015 - 2014 – National Civil Service at the Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology of Catania (INGV_OE), carrying out campaign activities for geodetic and geochemical measurements in the Etna area as well as acquisition, classification, archiving and processing of GPS data.
2021 - Scholarship for scientific disciplines for European mobility funded by the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei for 2021.
2022 – Best PhD thesis award funded by the Society of Mineralogy and Petrology (SIMP) for 2022.
Participation in Scientific and Conference organization committees
Chairman for the session “The challenge of alkali-activated materials: new chance for a sustainable world”, Joint Congress SGI-SIMP, 19 - 21 September 2022, Turin.
Member of the scientific committee of the workshop "Highlights on new generation green materials in restoration and building", 3-4 March 2022, Milazzo, Messina.
Chairman for the Conference entitled "New frontiers of innovative and green materials in restoration and construction" 24-25 February 2022, Catania.
- Conference "New frontiers of innovative and green materials in restoration and construction", Catania, February 2022.
- II National Conference "Diamonds and colored gems: ancient and modern materials, advanced diagnostics, market news", Catania, June 2019.
- XIII International Conference GeoRaman2018, Catania, June 2018.
Member of National Scientific Associations
- Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology (SIMP)
- Italian Crystallographic Association (AIC)
- GABeC (Georesources, Environment and Cultural Heritage)
- Italian Ceramic Society (ICERS)
Last edit: 01/04/2023
- Fugazzotto M., Occhipinti R., Caggiani M.C., Coccato A., Finocchiaro C., Lanzafame G., Mazzoleni P., Nucatolo G., Piacenti G., Starinieri S., Stroscio A., Barone G. Restoration feasibility study by using alkali activated mortars based on Mt. Etna volcanic ash: The case study of Monreale Cathedral (Palermo, Italy). 2023. Mater. Lett. 333, 133626. 10.1016/J.MATLET.2022.133626. ISSN 0167-577X
- Portale S., Finocchiaro C., Occhipinti R., Mazzoleni P., Barone G. Feasibility study about the use of basalt sawing sludge in building and restoration. 2023. Mater. Lett. 333, 133624. 10.1016/J.MATLET.2022.133624. ISSN 0167-577X
- Finocchiaro C., Belfiore C.M., Barone G., Mazzoleni P. IR-thermography as a non-destructive tool to derive indirect information on the physical-mechanical behaviour of alkali activated materials. 2022. Ceramics International, 48 (24) pp. 36178-36185, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2022.08.174. ISSN 0272-8842
- Caggiani M.C., Occhipinti R., Finocchiaro C., Fugazzotto M., Stroscio A., Mazzoleni P., Barone G. Diffuse Reflectance Infrared Fourier Transform Spectroscopy (DRIFTS) as a potential on site tool to test geopolymerization reaction. 2022. Talanta, vol. 250, 123721, 10.1016/j.talanta.2022.123721 ISSN 00399140
- Lanzafame G., Caggiani M.C., Finocchiaro C., Barone G., Ferlito C., Gigli L., Mazzoleni P. Multidisciplinary characterization of the “Ghiara” volcanic paleosoil (Mt. Etna volcano, Italy): Petrologic characters and genetic model. 2022. Lithos, 418-419, 106679, 10.1016/j.lithos.2022.106679. ISSN 00244937
- Finocchiaro C. Evaluation of new uses of volcanic ashes and paleo-soils coming from Mt. Etna volcano in the geopolymer production. 2021. PLINIUS, Vol. 47/2021, DOI: 10.19276/Plinius.2021.01004.
- Finocchiaro C., Coccato A., Barone G., Bersani D., Culka A., Fornasini L., Mazzoleni P., Jehlička J., Rousaki A., Vandenabeele P. 2022. In situ and micro-Raman spectroscopy for the identification of natural Sicilian zeolites. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 2022, 53(3), pp. 525–539. doi: http://doi.org/10.1002/jrs.627. ISSN 03770486
- Caggiani M.C., Coccato A., Barone G., Finocchiaro C., Fugazzotto M., Lanzafame G., Occhipinti R., Stroscio A., Mazzoleni P. 2021. Raman spectroscopy potentiality in the study of geopolymers reaction degree, Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 2022, 53(3), pp. 617–629 https://doi.org/10.1002/jrs.6167. ISSN 03770486
- Finocchiaro C., Barone G., Mazzoleni P., Leonelli C., Gharzouni A., Rossignol S. 2020a. FT-IR study of early stages of alkali activated materials based on pyroclastic deposits (Mt. Etna, Sicily, Italy) using two different alkaline solutions. Constr. Build. Mater. 2020, 262, 120095. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120095. ISSN 09500618
- Finocchiaro C., Barone G., Mazzoleni P., Sgarlata C., Lancellotti I., Leonelli C., Romagnoli M. 2020b. Artificial Neural Networks test for the prediction of chemical stability of pyroclastic deposits based AAMs and comparison with conventional mathematical approach (MLR). J Mater Sci, 2021, 56(1), pp. 513–527. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-020-05250-w. ISSN 00222461
- Occhipinti R., Stroscio A., Finocchiaro C., Fugazzotto M., Leonelli C., Lo Faro M.J., Megna B., Barone G., Mazzoleni P. 2020. Alkali Activated Materials using pumice from the Aeolian Islands (Sicily, Italy) and their potentiality for Cultural Heritage applications: preliminary study. Constr. Build. Mater. 2020, 259, 120391. DOI 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120391. ISSN 09500618
- Barone G., Finocchiaro C., Lancellotti I., Leonelli C., Mazzoleni P., Sgarlata C., Stroscio A. 2020a. Potentiality of the Use of Pyroclastic Volcanic Residues in the Production of Alkali Activated Material. Waste and Biomass Valorization, 2021, 12(2), pp. 1075–1094. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-020-01004-6. ISSN18772641
- Barone G., Caggiani M. C., Coccato A., Finocchiaro C., Fugazzotto M., Lanzafame G., Occhipinti R., Stroscio A., Mazzoleni P. 2020b. Geopolymer production for conservation-restoration using Sicilian raw materials: feasibility studies. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 777 (2020) 012001. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/777/1/012001. ISSN 17578981
- Scribano V., Simakov S.K., Finocchiaro C., Correale A., Scirè S. 2019. Pyrite and Organic Compounds Coexisting in Intrusive Mafic Xenoliths (Hyblean Plateau, Sicily): Implications for Subsurface Abiogenesis. Origins of Life and Evolution of Biospheres, 2019, 49(1-2), pp. 19–47. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/s11084-019-09581-w. ISSN 01696149
- Finocchiaro C., Barone G., Mazzoleni P., Spagnolo G. 2018. New insights on the Archaic “Corinthian B” amphorae from Gela (Sicily): the contribution of the analyses of Corfu raw materials. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, 2018, 18(5), pp. 179–189. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1285908. ISSN 11089628
- Messina M., Arcifa L., Barone G., Finocchiaro C., Mazzoleni P. 2018. Islamic pottery production in Eastern Sicily (10th-11th centuries): preliminary archaeometric data on local and imported products from Paternò (Sicily). Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, 2018, 18(5), pp. 207–223. DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1285914 ISSN 11089628
Academic Year 2022/2023VIEW THE COURSES
Academic Year 2021/2022
- DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGICAL, GEOLOGICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
Bachelor's Degree in Geological Sciences - 2nd Year
MATERIALI LAPIDEI NATURALI ED ARTIFICIALI CON LABORATORIO
- Development of alkaline-activated materials using natural and / or industrial waste
- Study of artifacts of historical and archaeological interest (e.g. ceramics, mortars and plasters)
- Characterization of zeolites by micro-Raman spectroscopy and portable instrumentation
- Characterization of stone materials and analysis of degradation processes